Deputy Vice Chancellor - Vacancy
Africa University, a Pan African, United Methodist Church Related Institution in Zimbabwe, invites applications from suitably qualified and well experienced persons to fill the following strategic positions:
DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR
Reporting to the Vice Chancellor, the Deputy Vice Chancellor is the chief academic officer and is responsible for promoting a rich intellectual life, fostering student success, creating an active learning environment both in the classroom and beyond, and enhancing academic research, scholarship, and creative activity of the University.
Candidates for the position of Deputy Vice Chancellor should possess the following attributes:
- An earned doctorate in an appropriate discipline; a distinguished record of teaching, scholarship, and service sufficient to warrant appointment at the rank of full professor;
- At least 5 years experience working in administration preferably as Dean or higher level academic post in a reputable Higher Education Institution.
- Demonstrate support for the University’s relationship with the global United Methodist Church.
- Possess competence in financial matters with fiscal skills and acumen necessary to facilitate the allocation of resources effectively and efficiently among competing and compelling needs of the institution and its mission.
- Demonstrate executive leadership skills including visionary leadership, a strategic thinking, an innovative and entrepreneurial spirit, and a commitment to multidisciplinary research and education.
- Possess a strong, documented commitment to diversity and experience working in international and multicultural academic environments.
- substantial evidence of innovative and effective leadership in academic planning and implementation, programme-development, personnel, team-building, and budget management.
- Leading and directing Deans and Directors to meet enrollment targets, retentions rates, and graduation rates for all Colleges, and to ensure that mission driven academic and co-curricular objectives are achieved.
- Overseeing the academic programmes by ensuring that they are of contemporary and in line with dynamic industry and prevailing national policies (e.g STEM), and maintaining regular curriculum review and development of new Colleges, programmes which will result in increased visibility and competitiveness of the university.
- Deputizing the Vice Chancellor when necessary and showing an active interest and contribution to the following key result areas such as financial management, budgeting, student recruitment.
- Supporting the leadership team by hiring for mission, providing timely and direct feedback, creating opportunity for personal and professional development/growth, providing fair and transparent performance management processes and incentives for high performance.
- Articulating, regularly updating, and implementing a strategic plan for Academic Programmes and coordinating the strategic plans of the colleges to support the strategic plan of the University,
- Ensuring the University's commitment to its values and mission, including academic excellence, diversity and inclusion, Ubuntu, God fearing, integrity and professionalism, as evidenced by creative and effective initiatives to attract and retain talented students, faculty, and staff; programming that models inclusiveness; policy and procedure; and community involvement both within and outside of the University;
- Providing leadership in initiating a culture of research within the organization by sourcing research grants, facilitating research and managing the research budget.
- Active involvement in pursuing partnerships in the form of staff and student exchanges, sponsored research, scholarship funding for both students and staff as well as any other mutually beneficial relationships with reputable partners.
Applications together with six (6) copies (applies if application is in hard copy format) of Curriculum vitae, certified copies and certificates, academic transcripts and at least three names of referees with their e-mail, phone numbers and postal addresses should be forwarded to:
Assistant Registrar, Human Resources
P. O. Box 1320
Zimbabwe or email to:firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 31 October 2017