University Librarian - Vacancy
Africa University, a Pan African, United Methodist Church Related Institution in Zimbabwe, invites applications from suitably qualified and well experienced persons to fill the following strategic positions:
Reporting directly to the Deputy Vice Chancellor, the University Librarian directs all operations of the Jokomo Yamada Library with a focus on the Library’s mission to advance student learning and meet information needs at Africa University. The Librarian establishes plans and policies that cover such areas as services, collections, facilities, budgets, personnel, and technology, innovation and continuous improvement in the Library; and promotes the mission and strategic plan of the University.
Applicants should have the following attributes:
- A Bachelor’s degree plus Post graduate degree in Library and Information Science or related degree.
- At least 10years post qualification experience working in a University Library or a Library of equivalent standing five (5) of which must be in Library Administration position.
- Experience and a clear vision of using technology to enhance library services.
- Experience and working in an international and multicultural environment is a must
- Oversees University Library’s physical facilities, resources and services
- Supervises staff in library for effective delivery of services
- Oversees collection development activities of the library
- Attends University Committees e.g Senate, Finance, Cabinet
- Advises Management on Library developmental projects, students welfare and staffing matters among others.
- Enforces adherence to Library policies and procedures
- Coordinates Library Committee meetings and implements decisions as approved by Senate
- Coordinates and evaluates Library staff on annual basis
- Encourages Staff development through formal training / Library Seminars
- Coordinates the preparation of the library budget
- Monitors and implements approved budget
- Coordinates the procurement of electronic and physical resources
- Establishes and fosters links with other University Libraries and other libraries
- Maintains Consortia relationship with other University Libraries through the Zimbabwe Universities Library Consortium (ZULC)
- Makes information available to the University Community in diverse forms through exhibition and displays and selective dissemination of Information strategies on topical national and global issues and individuals research information needs.
- Coordinates university library outreach programmes
Applications together with six (6) copies (applies if application is in hard copy format) of Curriculum vitae, certified copies and certificates, academic transcripts and at least three names of referees with their e-mail, phone numbers and postal addresses should be forwarded to:
Assistant Registrar, Human Resources
P. O. Box 1320
Zimbabwe or email to:email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 31 October 2017