The Health service unit is a “walk in” clinic for your convenience. Clients are seen by appointment for the doctor or other specialists through the referral channel. The clinic provides Primary Health Care activities, such as health teaching, on health and wellness, health protection, health promotion and counselling. All clients are advised to visit the clinic in the morning, if they are not feeling well to necessitate referrals to Specialists if need be.
The mission of Health Services encompasses a holistic Primary Health care approach to health care management, providing assessments and assisting students, staff and visitors in the management of health related concerns. Health Services also provides programming in health promotion and disease prevention to the University community.
The Health services offer for both acute and chronic illnesses and health teaching is done on drug concordance
- Family Planning services and Reproductive health services
- Men and women Health issues and screening
- Mental Health Services and counselling
- Out patients services: Treatment of minor ailments & management of chronic conditions such as diabetes, psychiatric hypertension, HIV etc.
- HIV/AIDS counselling and support
- Peer education programmes on life skills
- Health Promotion activities e.g.Health Fares
- World AIDS Commemoration
- Counselling on health issues
- HIV Voluntary Counselling and Testing (VCT) & Provider Initiated Testing and Counselling & support for PLWHIV.
- Pregnancy especially unplanned
- Drug Abuse
- Drug Compliance
- The importance of nutrition in relation to drugs
- Occupational Safety, Health and environmental activities
It is compulsory for all students, to have a medical insurance. All students MUST bring a student ID and a valid medical aid card at each visit.
Partners and Donors
- Ministry of Health and Child Care (MOHCC)
- National AIDS Council (NAC)
- Population Services Zimbabwe (PSZ)
- Population Services International (PSI)
- Youth Alive Zimbabwe (YAZ)
The Africa University Medical Practitioner’s consultation time is on Wednesday, from 2.00 p.m. to 4.00 p.m. and only booked patients/clients and emergencies shall be attended to.All booked patients /clients should honour their appointment times.
After Hours Emergency Services
There are trained sub wardens in each blockin the halls of residents who have first aid kits if need arises. There is a resident nurse practitioner who attends to emergency cases
- Monday-Thursday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Phone: 020 60026/75 ext. 1053/1068 or 2638644041013
- E-mail: email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org