Bachelor of Education (Honours) in Mathematics
About the Programme
The programme will consist of university-wide required general courses (8 credit hours), Education courses (15 credit hours), courses in major subject area of specialization (Mathematics), (45 credit hours).
Admission requirements :
For admission to the programme applicants must:
- Have a teaching certificate/diploma in Mathematics or its equivalent recognised by Africa University.
Year One Semester One
- EMH 111 COLLEGE ALGEBRA
- EMH 112 FOUNDATIONS OF MATHEMATICS
- EPH 113 GENERAL PHYSICS1
Year One Semester Two
- EMH 122 THEORY OF NUMBERS
- EMH 221 INTRODUCTION TO STATISTICS
- EPH 223 GENERAL PHYSICS II
Year Two Semester One
- EMH 211 LINEAR ALGEBRA
- EMH 224 DIFFERENTIAL & INTEGRAL CALCULUS I
- ECI 300 CONTENT METHODS OF TEACHING MATHEMATICS
- EMH 312 PLANE & SOLID GEOMETRY
- EST 314 APPLIED STATISTICAL METHODS I
- TEV 200 Ethics and Christian Values
- HAS 100 African Studies
- HIT 100 Information Technology
- ECI 304 Research Methods
- ECI 403 Curriculum Development
- ECI 405 Measurement and Evaluation
- ECI 412 Project in Education
- EFN 400 School Organisation
Teaching Subject Content Courses
- Major Content Mathematics courses
Career and Job Opportunities
The training of mathematics teachers to degree level will provide the much needed increased numbers of primary and secondary school teachers in local, regional and global societies. For an example in Zimbabwe, if the STEM initiative by the government is to be realised.
Now that every students at the secondary school is expected to have at least a pass at O-Level in mathematics, so many more degreed trained and qualified teachers will be needed in the educational system. This programme can provide this extremely important group of people.