Africa University, a Pan African and United Methodist Church Related Institution in Zimbabwe, invites applications from suitably qualified and well experienced persons to fill the following strategic position:
LABORATORY SCIENTIST/ INSECTARY MANAGER
Reporting to the H.O.D, the purpose of the job is mainly to run the reference insectary facility under AU CHANS technical support initiative for the National Malaria Control Programme (NMCP) of Zimbabwe and its partners ABT Associates and Zimbabwe Assistance Programme in Malaria (ZAPIM).
- Minimum two years’ experience rearing mosquito colonies for malaria entomological and parasite surveillance for the MOHCC or its partner organizations.
- Specific laboratory training from NMCP partner organization, such as PMI, CDC, National Institute of Health Research, International Centre of Excellence for Malaria Research (ICEMR) is a requirement for this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Rear and maintain colonies of reference and other mosquito specimens to the suitable levels and duration as required to provide technical support for the NMCP and its partners
- Receive, rear and run requested tests on field specimens to answer operational research and control questions for the NMCP and its partners
- Maintain requisite stocks of supplies and consumables for field the upkeep of the reference vector mosquito colonies and accompanying animal house.
- To supervise daily duties of Laboratory Assistants and ensure they comply with the planned schedule for optimal maintenance of the reference insectary
- To report to the Head of Department and submit to the Dean ensuing data from sample analyses, colony rearing and any testing to contribute to the NMCP evidence base
Applications together with six (6) copies (If application is in hard copy format) of Curriculum vitae, certified copies and certificates, academic transcripts and at least three names of referees with their e-mail, phone numbers and postal addresses should be forwarded to:
Assistant Registrar, Human Resources & Administration
P. O. Box 1320
Zimbabwe or email to:email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 10 July 2019
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.