Africa University, a Pan African and United Methodist Church Related Institution in Zimbabwe, invites applications from suitably qualified and well experienced persons to fill the following strategic position:
PROFESSOR/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/SENIOR LECTURER – INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY & INNOVATION
Reporting to the H.O.D, the incumbent will serve in the capacity of IP and Innovation Professor and will provide leadership in contributing to the smooth organization and implementation of the activities of the MIP programme. He/she will be assigned the following responsibilities:
- An earned PhD and a proven record as a scholar in one or integrated IP areas and law;
- An Undergraduate Degree in Law will be an added advantage.
- Proven ability to contribute to the College and University’s research profile and an outstanding record in research and publication in IP;
- Teaching experience at university graduate level and as an active researcher in the integrated field of IP.
- Must have experience in developing and teaching online courses.
- Experience in a leadership, managerial or senior academic position, in the public and/or private sector environment, or international development cooperation context an advantage;
- Knowledge of contemporary challenges in the intellectual property field in Africa;
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse Pan African environment, with a proven record of inclusive and multi-cultural skills in teaching, research, innovation and service.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, working knowledge of French and/or Portuguese an added advantage.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide leadership in the design, review and implementation of the IP curriculum, to ensure relevance, suitability and appropriateness of IP for innovation and other developmental needs of African countries;
- Teach in the IP degree programmes at masters and doctoral levels, conduct and coordinate research and the collection of up-to-date information on trends in intellectual property practice in Africa and beyond;
- Provide leadership in the supervision and coordination of the students’ innovative research and the preparation of their dissertations for final assessment;
- Advance and encourage wider student and program initiatives on innovation, entrepreneurship, and technology transfer
- Supervise masters and doctoral students, and mentor, train, guide and motivate junior colleagues to carry out research
- Provide advisory services to the university innovation hub and help develop an environment that will nurture research-based innovation and innovation-driven entrepreneurship for Africa University students
- Facilitate training, workshops, seminars and executive courses in the field of Intellectual Property
- Attend college meetings and University Wide Committee meetings;
- Develop a data base of institutions, organizations and specialists involved in education and training activities in the intellectual property field in Africa; and contribute to the development of networking relationships among such institutions, organizations and specialists;
- Provide leadership in mobilizing resources, library books and materials aimed at promoting growth and development in the field of Intellectual Property;
- Contribute to the preparation of progress and other reports on the IP programmes;
- Collaborate with the Africa University research office for the promotion of innovative research and inventions; and
- Carry out any other functions as assigned.
TO APPLYApplications together with six (6) copies (If application is in hard copy format) of Curriculum vitae, certified copies and certificates, academic transcripts and at least three names of referees with their e-mail, phone numbers and postal addresses should be forwarded to:
Assistant Registrar, Human Resources & Administration
P. O. Box 1320
Zimbabwe or email to:firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 10 July 2019
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.