Africa University, a Pan African and United Methodist Church Related Institution in Zimbabwe, invites applications from suitably qualified and well experienced persons to fill the following strategic positions:
PROFESSOR/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/SENIOR LECTURER/LECTURER IN HUMAN RIGHTS/MIGRATION AND REFUGEE STUDIES (1 POSITION)
Reporting to the Dean, the main duties and responsibilities of Lecturer in Human Rights/Migration Studies will be that of teaching, conducting solution-oriented research that will lead to transformative policy changes and innovation in line with Education 5.0 .
- A university doctorate degree in Human Rights/Migration and Refugee Studies/Humanitarian Law or a related field.
- At least 5 years teaching experience at undergraduate, graduate or tertiary level.
- Must have strong networking skills in order to work with the local, regional and international organizations.
- Be conversant with Human Rights/ Migration and Refugee Legal frameworks and institutions at international, regional and national levels
- Be conversant with the role of the United Nations, African Union and other regional institutions in promoting human rights, migration and refugee inclusive policies at international, regional and national levels. .
- Ability to engage in robust debates on human rights, migration and refugee issues from different perspectives including global, regional and national levels
- Ability to work as a team and respect for cultural diversity
- Demonstrate ability to contribute to the College/Institute’s innovative research profile
- Proven and outstanding track record of innovative research and impactful publications in the broader fields of Human Rights, Migration and Refugee Studies and related fields.
- International experience working in the human rights, migration and humanitarian arena will be considered an advantage.
- Ability to interrogate the impact of global governance frameworks on the African continent and states with a particular focus on the African Union and regional bodies.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Africa’s emerging conflicts and their implication on African geopolitics, human rights, migration and refugee transactions.
- Demonstrated experience in the practice politics and peacebuilding including experience of working with UN Agencies, humanitarian organizations, multi-lateral, government or non-governmental organizations.
- Ability to generate innovative and creative research ideas to solve the emerging global challenges
- A successful track record of raising and managing funds from major donors and foundations .
- Knowledge of additional regional languages, such as Swahili, Portuguese, or French will be added advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and update curricula in Human Rights and Humanitarian Law and related fields.
- Teach the theory and practice of Human Rights and related fields.
- Contribute to IPLG’s the core research programme in Human Rights and other areas.
- Mentor, supervise and train students in Human Rights promotion and policy development.
- Supervise students’ research projects and dissertations.
- Engage in scholarly research academic activities in the broader fields of Human Rights and Rule of Law.
- Promote public and outreach events in the discipline of Human Rights and Rule of Law.
- Facilitate training, workshops, seminars and executive courses in Human Rights and Rule of Law.
- Attend IPLG meetings and University Committee meetings.
- Develop, implement and coordinate projects in the integrated areas of Human Rights, Migration and Refugee Protection and related areas .
- Develop, write innovative grant proposals as part of CBPLGs research and resource mobilisation agenda.
- Perform any other functions from time to time as required.
Applicants should submit their applications, including a curriculum vitae, giving full personal particulars including, full name, place of birth and date of birth, certified proof of qualifications, employment history and experience, contact details, names and conduct details of three referees to:
Assistant Registrar, Human Resources & Administration
P. O. Box 1320
Zimbabwe or email to:email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 06 April 2020.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.