International Students

The office is committed to:

  • Advising international students on Zimbabwean immigration laws and on matters of personal and cultural adjustment.
  • Helping, developing and implementing programs designed to enhance the overall experience of Africa University’s international students.
  • Playing an active role in the integration of the culturally diverse community of Africa University and promoting the spirit of Ubuntu and Pan- Africanism.

Mr. Wehnam Dabale
International Students Advisor
Email address:

Mr. George Miti
Dean of Students Affairs
Email address:

The information provided here is only a guideline and is not exhaustive. Should your country information not appear on this page, please contact the Africa University Admissions Office for more guidance as to whether the qualifications you possess are sufficient for your course of study.

Important Note: Students who are applying without Mathematics are required to take a Mathematics bridging course as part of their degree program. Failure to pass the Mathematics bridging course before the completion of the entire degree program will result in the student being unable to graduate. (Applicable to commercials, sciences and social sciences- Psychology and Sociology)

A Secondary School Leaving Certificate is sufficiet with a C grade average. For mathematical courses a pass at grade 14 or above in your final year of schooling satisfies the Mathematical requirement in the College of Business, Peace, Leadership and Governance.

BGCSE/IGCSE (Grade C or better in at least five subjects with English and Mathematics)

If this is the only school leaving certificate you possess, you will have to attend a two -year bridging course with Africa University before embarking on your program.

We accept two years at University of Botswana (part one of a degree course, e.g. BSC part one) as equivalent to A level for entry purposes – that is to say if you have done part one of a degree course at University of Botswana you may proceed straight to your degree program without the need to do the bridging course.

If you have Botswana A levels these are also acceptable.

This is acceptable as group qualification satisfying general entrance requirements provided that an overall grade of at least ‘Bien’ has been achieved.

Cameroon GCE Ordinary Level Acceptable at grade C or better in lieu of GCSE on a subject for subject basis.

Cameroon GCE Advanced Level Acceptable at grades A–E in lieu of GCE A level on a subject for subject basis.

GRADING SYSTEM | Baccalauréat
Grades Description
20-18 excellent (excellent)
17-16 très bien (very good)
15-14 bien (good)
13-12 assez bien (fair)
11-10 passable/moyen (pass)
9-0 insuffisant (fail)

Cameroon GCE Ordinary level A–C (pass), D–F (fail)

Cameroon GCE Advanced level A–E (pass), F (fail)

You are required to have completed the Diplôme d'Etat d'Etudes Secondaires du Cycle Long with a grade C or above (including Mathematics)

Ethiopian General Education Certificate Examination (EGSLCE)

This is considered to be below GCSE standard. You will be required to take a bridging course with Africa University if this is your only school leaving certificate. You will need to have achieved a grade “Satisfactory” or better

Grade Symbol Percentages Description
A 100-90 excellent
B 89-80 very good
C 79-60 satisfactory
D 59-50 avarage
E below 50 fail

Ethiopian Higher Education Entrance Examination (EHEEE)

This is sufficient to proceed to your degree program provided you have achieved a grade “Good” or better. Please note that depending on the course you have selected you may need to take a bridging course before you proceed for your degree program.

Grades Description
301-400 excellent
251-300 very good
201-250 good
101-200 satisfactory
0-100 poor
West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE)

If you are from this region, to gain entry to Africa University you are required to have a grade “good” or better.

Grades Description
A1 excellent
A2 very good
B3 good
C4-6 credit| minimum acceptable pass
D7 pass
E8 pass
F9 Fail
Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE)

You are required to have attained a pass of C or above per subject to be considered for admission.

Malawi School Certificate of Education (MSCE)

These are acceptable at grades 1–6 in lieu of GCSE (grades A, B, C) on a subject for subject basis. Depending on your course of study you may be required to take a bridging course before proceeding for your degree program.

Grades Description
1-2 A distinction
3-4 B credit
5-6 C credit
7 D ordinary pass
8 E ordinary pass
9 F fail
You must have acquired a Secondary Education Advanced Level Examination Certificate with grades C or better.
Percentages Grade Description
85 - 100 11 A excellent
80-84 10 A-
75 - 79 9B+ very good
70 - 74 8B
65 - 69 7B-
60 - 64 6C+ merit
55 - 59 5C
50 - 54 4C-
40 - 49 3, 2 D+, D pass
0-39 1, 2 F fail

You are required to have attained at an average grade between 4 and 7 to be considered for a program at Africa University.

Grade Percentages
7 100-80
6 79-70
5 69-60
4 59-50
3 49-40
2 39-30
1 29-0
Sudan School Certificate (SSC)

This is acceptable at 50% or better in lieu of GCSE on a subject for subject basis (except English language). You would need to supplement this with a bridging course.

Grade Percentages
A 100-80
B 79-70
C 69-60
D 59-50
F 49-0
Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE)

This is acceptable at grades 1–6 in lieu of GCSE on a subject for subject basis.

Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE)

This certificate is acceptable at grades A–E in lieu of GCE A level on a subject for subject basis.

Grade Description
1-2 distinction
3-6 credit/ minimum acceptable pass
7-8 pass
9 fail

  1. A–E pass
  2. F fail
Zambia School Certificate

This is acceptable at grades 1–6 in lieu of GCSE on a subject for subject basis however it would need to be supplemented by a bridging course.

Grade Description
1-2 distinction
3-4 merit
5-6 credit/ minimum acceptable performance level formerly required for a GCE O level pass
7-8 satisfactory
9 Unsatisfactory

Africa University is a multilingual campus community; however, all lectures and tools for assessment are in English.

Students from the following countries who have achieved a grade C or better (or its equivalent in their home countries) do not need to take any English proficiency tests or produce IELTS/TOEFEL certificates to be accepted for their chosen degree programs as English is a common medium of communication and instruction in their regions.

  • South Africa
  • Botswana
  • Lesotho
  • Swaziland
  • Namibia
  • Kenya
  • Uganda
  • Rwanda
  • Ethiopia
  • Ghana
  • Nigeria
  • Liberia

Those from predominantly French, Portuguese, Arab, Swahili and other languages native to their regions are required to enroll for the one-year Intensive English course at Africa University that teaches English for communication and academic purposes. Some of these countries include:

  • Democratic Republic of Congo
  • Angola
  • Mozambique
  • Congo
  • Sierra Leone
  • Cameroon
  • Ivory Coast

If you have taken an English course elsewhere, you will need to produce a certificate proving your proficiency/level of understanding of English or you may be given a short examination by the University to assess your ability to speak, understand and use English.

The office is committed to:

  • Advising international students on Zimbabwean immigration laws and on matters of personal and cultural adjustment.
  • Helping, developing and implementing programs designed to enhance the overall experience of Africa University’s international students.
  • Playing an active role in the integration of the culturally diverse community of Africa University and promoting the spirit of Ubuntu and Pan- Africanism.

Mr. Wehnam Dabale
International Students Advisor
Email address:

Mr. George Miti
Dean of Students Affairs
Email address:


Important information for new Students

Please not that all international students intending to study at Africa University regardless of nationality are required by law to apply for a study permit before travelling to Zimbabwe to take up their studies. All study permits should be applied for while you are in your country of residence and you can only then proceed to travel to Zimbabwe once you have been granted a pre-clearance certificate or a study permit. To begin your application, please scan the following documents to the International Students Advisor (ISA) and copy the Dean of Students Affairs

  1. Residence Application Form (Filled in and then certified by a Commissioner of Oaths- download here)
  2. Immigration Declaration Form (Filled in and Complete- download from here)
  3. Statutory Fee of USD 200 (Deposited into the University Account with a scanned copy of the deposit slip emailed to the ISA along with your other documents).
  4. Bio metric data page of your passport (Passport to be submitted to the ISA upon arrival in Zimbabwe).
  5. X-Ray Report (Original to be submitted to the ISA once in Zimbabwe)
  6. JPEG format attachment of Passport Size Photograph
  7. Police Clearance Report (Original to be submitted to the ISA once in Zimbabwe)

Once these have been submitted, Africa University will process your study permit on your behalf. The ISA will inform you of your permit status and if approved, a copy of your pre- clearance certificate shall be sent to you which shall allow you to enter Zimbabwe as a student (NOTE: You will still need to apply for an entry visa should your country be required to do so by the Government of Zimbabwe (Do I need a VISA?). Please be sure to send these documents as soon as possible to allow for the processing time of your permit which may take up to three weeks (21 working days) .Should you have any further inquiries, please email the ISA on

There are some countries that are required to apply for a Visa before travelling to Zimbabwe. In many instances, countries from the SADC region (Mozambique, South Africa, Zambia, Malawi, Swaziland, Botswana, Namibia, and Lesotho) do not need to apply for one. Please check the category your country falls under to determine whether you need to apply for a VISA to Zimbabwe.

Category A | Countries whose nationals do not require visas
Antigua & Barbuda Aruba Bahamas Barbados
Belize Botswana Cayman Congo (DRC)
Cyprus Fiji Grenada Hong Kong (China)
Jamaica Kenya Kiribati Leeward (S)
Lesotho Malaysia Malawi Solomon Island
Zambia Swaziland South Africa Tanzania
Tonga Trinidad & Tobago Turks & Caicos Islands Mozambique
Maldives Malta Mauritius Montserrat
Namibia Nauru Singapore Uganda

Category B | Countries whose nationals are granted visas at the port of entry on payment of the requisite visa fees
Argentina Korea (South) Austria Finland
Australia Egypt France Germany
Belgium Luxembourg Puerto Rico Iran
Spain Equatorial Guinea Turkey Slovak
Seychelles Bermuda Algeria Brazil
Ghana Greece Hungary Iceland
Britain (UK) Canada Czech Republic Ireland
Denmark Dominic Rep Italy Japan
Isreal Monaco Singapore Sweden
Cuba NetherlandsSwitzerland New Zealand
United Arab EmiratesUSA NorwayUruguay
Papau New GuineaPortugal PolandRussia

Category C | Countries whose nationals are required to apply for and obtain visas PRIOR to travelling
Afghanistan Albania Bangladesh Bosnia Herzegovina
Azerbaijan Angola Bolivia Armenia
Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Congo (Brazzaville)
Chile Burkina Faso Colombia Central Africa Rep
Cape Verde Islands Bermuda Comoros Islands Chad
Croatia Conakry Cote D'Ivoire China(single travelers)
Djibouti Republic El Salvador Equator Eritrea
Ethiopia Estonia French Guiana French West Indies
Gabon Gambia Georgia Gibraltar
Guam GuatemalaGuineaGuinea Bissau
GuyanaHaiti IndiaIraq
ReunionRomaniaRwandaSamoa (America)
Saudi ArabiaSenegalSerbiaSierra Leone
SloveniaSomaliaSri LankaSouth Sudan and Sudan
LiberiaLibya JordanKazakhstan
MorroccoMyanmarNepalNew Caledonia

To travel to Zimbabwe, you must have a VALID PASSPORT. Be sure to make photocopies of all of your important documents as you may be asked on occasion to provide these especially when applying for your visa or study permit.

Visa Requirements:
  1. A passport valid for at least six months
  2. Completion of the prescribed forms (available from the Zimbabwe Immigration website for those in Category C while those in Category B shall be provided with these upon entry).
  3. Payment of the applicable visa fee. All nationals on category B may apply for visas at the Consulate.
  4. The fees are payable in US$ or Rands at the applicable exchanged rates on the date.

Note for parents and guardians wishing to escort their children to Zimbabwe:
  1. A Single entry visa is valid for 6 months
  2. A Double entry visa is valid for 3 months
  3. Multiple entry visas are valid for 6 months and are only issued in Harare.


If you do need to apply for a VISA to Zimbabwe, view the tab below.

  • If you are currently abroad, and do not yet have a valid Zimbabwean student visa, you generally apply for one at the Zimbabwean embassy or consulate with jurisdiction over your place of permanent residence.
  • You should apply for your student visa well in advance of the date you would like to depart for Africa University.
  • Remember that you are required to show proof of having been provisionally accepted by Africa University and paid the required service fees when you appear for your visa interview.
  • It is important for you to have your visa in time to arrive and begin registration and orientation activities for the first week of classes.
  • It takes two weeks to process Zimbabwean visa in embassy or consulates worldwide

Be sure to bring the following with you to the visa appointment:

  1. Passport
  2. Required photo(s)
  3. Visa fee or proof of visa fee payment
  4. Africa University admission letter
  5. proof of financial support
  6. any other documents required by the embassy or consulate

Remember that if you plan to attend Africa University, you must present the visa officer with an Africa university’s admission letter issued by the Registrar. You cannot apply for a Zimbabwean visa using another school's admission letter, and then try to attend Africa University as that is considered to be a fraudulent entry by the Zimbabwean Immigration authorities.

The vast majority of Africa University students will be successful in obtaining their student visas. Despite this, a small number of students may have their visa applications denied. Much more common than a visa denial is a visa delay. This is why it is so important to apply for your visa on time. The most common reasons for visa denial or delays are:

  • Closings or reduced hours at Zimbabwean visa issuing posts abroad due to security concerns
  • Closings or reduced hours at Zimbabwean visa issuing posts abroad due to political instability in the host country.
  • Student or scholar's record does not appear in the Immigration system at the Zimbabwean embassy or consulate, even though the student or scholar presents an admission letter. If you are told that your record does not appear in the visa officer's immigration system, immediately contact the Dean of Students or International Student Advisor at and and provide the date and location of your visa interview.

We will in turn contact the appropriate authority to have your immigration record re-submitted directly to the location where you have applied for your visa.


Permit Renewal for Continuing Students

Continuing students are urged to renew their study permits at least 1 (one) month before the expiration date of their study permits. Please bring with you to the ISA:

  1. 2 Photocopies of your Grade Report from the previous semester
  2. 2 Photocopies of your expiring Permit with the original
  3. 2 Photocopies of your Passport with the original
  4. 2 Photocopies of your student ID card
  5. USD 200 Statutory Permit Application Fee

Always be sure to read the documents you get back from immigration and the ISA, especially your Provisional Restriction Notice. This is a document you are given in lieu of your study permit after applying which is evidence of your pending permit application. This document is valid for 30 days and you must report to the ISA at least five days before the expiration date to get an extension.

Failure to adhere to the expiration dates can be disastrous and result in a USD 100 fine or imprisonment followed by possible deportation. One you have received your study permit that is valid for a year, you must prepare to renew it at least 1 month before its expiration date. Should you fail renew your study permit before it expires you may be arrested and then deported. Please take keeping your immigration status in good standing seriously and always be responsible.

IMPORTANT: No student is permitted to register at Africa University or write examinations under any circumstances without being in the possession of a valid study permit or provisional restriction notice.


If you are a student coming to Zimbabwe with dependents, this classification referring to a wife, husband, or a child, you are required to apply for a dependent permit which is separate from the study permit.

To apply you will need to provide to the International Students Advisor:

  • Two photocopies of the biometric data page of the dependent’s passport and Identity Card (if they have one).
  • A letter written by the applicant or on the applicant’s behalf addressed to the Principal Immigration Director of Zimbabwe clearly expressing the desire to apply for the dependant permit and a request for consideration.
  • $300 dependent permit fee (Charged per dependent)

The Vacation Relief program is one that is run by the Dean of Student Affairs under the supervision of the International Students Advisor. It is designed to give a safe, comfortable and secure place for those international students who for various reasons are not able to return to their homes for the vacation. While this program is available to all who need it, spaces are highly limited and is only meant for those in dire need and without any other options.

Countries excluded from participation in the program due to their close proximity to Zimbabwe are:

  1. Mozambique
  2. Zambia
  3. South Africa
  4. Lesotho
  5. Swaziland
  6. Malawi
  7. Namibia
  8. Botswana

Parents and guardians of international students are strongly encouraged to make the necessary arrangements to be able to cater for their children’s board and meals should they be remaining on campus for the vacation for whatever reason or to be able to bring their children home for the holidays.

Application Process

An advertisement is flighted a month before the end of the semester for applications. Students must complete an application form that can be collected from the ISA and attach to this a photocopy of their study permit. The application time is usually one week.

Vacation Relief Requirements

Each student is allocated a station where they must repot to each morning without fail to be assigned various tasks to perform in the line of hygiene and sanitation, grounds maintenance, basic office administration, farming or laboratory work for a period not exceeding five hours daily.

This service is delivered by the student for triple occupancy accommodation and meals (Breakfast, Lunch and dinner) amounting to $6 per day.

Rules and Regulations

Each student who has applied for VRP must:

  1. Report for work on time as set forth by the duty station manager
  2. Perform all duties diligently and in a manner that is respectful to their fellow students and the university displaying the character of leadership and discipline that is inherently within each student enrolled at the university.
  3. Sign in to their duty stations at the start of work and sign out at the end of work thus completing the day’s obligations.
  4. Advise their supervisor in good time to excuse themselves from the day’s duties should they have another engagement, failure to do so will result in an accumulation of days not worked for which the student must reimburse the university at the beginning of the semester.
I am a fully registered student but hold a study permit from another institution in Zimbabwe. Is this legal?

Whether you are a continuing student or a first year, as soon as you transfer to Africa University, you must change your study permit to one that is issued for this institution. If you find yourself in this situation you will be assisted by the ISA office to change your permit to that of this university. While not illegal for you, it poses serious risks to the integrity and reputation of the university and your fellow students and can also potentially lead to complications with your future permit renewal process both with the university and Zimbabwe Immigration Services. Please change this as soon as possible if this is your case.

I am registered but my permit has expired. What should I do?

Holding a permit that has long since expired changes your status immediately illegal and makes liable for deportation by the government of Zimbabwe. The worst thing you can do in this situation is to panic and conceal this information. This can cause you unnecessary stress and anxiety that can adversely affect your studies. As soon as you notice that your permit has expired it is crucial that you notify the ISA as soon as possible. You must then produce the necessary documents to the ISA. You will very likely receive a fine of $100 in addition to the statutory fee of $200 that you must pay for renewal. Again, you are highly encouraged to note your permit expiry dates and apply three months before.

My documents have been stolen and I have lost my Passport and Study Permit. What procedures do I follow to get a new one?

You will need to go to the Zimbabwe Republic Police to file a report stating that your permit has been stolen. You will then be issued with an official document (Police Report) from the ZRP which will assist them in finding your lost property but is also an officially recognized document detailing what has happened. Take this police report to the immigration offices where they will issue you with a temporary replacement. You must then report to your embassy or consulate if you have also lost your passport for further assistance in acquiring a replacement. You should also notify the ISA so that your personal file is updated.

I need a letter from the university to open a bank account. How do I get one?

Simply bring a copy of your current registration form for the semester as well as a photocopy of your current study permit to the ISA office to apply for the Proof of Enrolment Letter that takes about two working days to process.

While these FAQ’s are in no way exhaustive and you will likely have many questions not answered here , they do cover the most pertinent issues and how to address them. If you need any more information or would like clarification on any of these or other issues, the ISA office is always open and there to serve you .We aim to ensure your stay in Zimbabwe is pleasant and that you achieve what each of you individually have set out to accomplish which is to improve on yourselves and become leaders in your communities.