Africa University, a Pan African and United Methodist Church Related Institution in Zimbabwe, invites applications from suitably qualified and well experienced persons to fill the following strategic position:
ENDOWED CHAIR OF AGRIBUSINESS: DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES
The Endowed Chair position in Agribusiness was established to preserve the excellence of Africa University's Agribusiness programmes, to attract top notch Professors to the College of Health Agriculture and Natural Sciences, and to facilitate cutting-edge and innovative research that leads to technological solutions and enterprise development in agriculture.
QUALIFICATIONS AND DESIRED ATTRIBUTES
- PhD in Agribusiness or closely related field.
- Master’s degree in Agribusiness.
- Undergraduate degree in Agriculture.
- Be a seasoned scholar with a track record of 3 to 5 years at Professorial level.
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels.
- Proven experience in building alliances and partnerships across the College, University, and beyond with the business community and other stakeholders.
- Strong record of cutting-edge research and publications that provide solutions to major challenges in Agribusiness on the African continent.
- Demonstrated experience in writing successful research and project grants.
- Be an internationally recognized authority in Agribusiness.
- Proven ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams and multicultural environments.
- Excellent communication and organisational skills.
- Active engagement in high-quality research, implement new developments in the academic discipline.
- Knowledge and experience in agribusiness management in the private sector is an added advantage.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
The holder of the Endowed Chair in Agribusiness is expected to:
- Conduct cutting edge research in Agribusiness and publish in leading international refereed journals.
- Provide leadership in grant writing for agribusiness projects in the Department.
- Participate in collaborative interdisciplinary research within the College and across the University.
- Teach Agribusiness and related courses at the undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate levels up to PhD/DPhil level.
- Supervise undergraduate projects, Masters and PhD thesis research in the Department.
- Develop vibrant agribusiness outreach programmes.
- Develop collaborative programmes, projects and ventures with the farming and agribusiness community.
- Set up practical research on key technologies in Agribusiness to enhance his/her international academic influence and to become an internationally active academic member.
- Participate in committees and governance structures of the Department, College and University.
- Provide leadership in curriculum review of current programmes and development of new programmes.
- Take a leading role in resource mobilization through grant writing for research and innovative projects.
- Provide leadership in establishing strategic partnerships with other institutions locally, regionally and internationally for the growth and development of the Department, the College and the University.
- Provide overall leadership and mentorship in Agribusiness, Value Chains Development and Entrepreneurship in line with the Education 5.0 thrust of Higher Education training.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications together with copies of curriculum vitae, certified copies of certificates, academic transcripts and at least three names of referees with their e-mail, phone numbers and postal addresses should be forwarded to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 1 August 2022.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.