Africa University, a Pan African and United Methodist Church Related Institution in Zimbabwe, invites applications from suitably qualified and well experienced persons to fill the following strategic position:
LECTURER/SENIOR LECTURER/ ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/ PROFESSOR : ANIMAL SCIENCE
Reporting to the Dean, the holder of this position in Animal Science is expected to spearhead teaching, research, transformative innovation and community service in Animal Science.
QUALIFICATIONS AND DESIRED ATTRIBUTES
- A PhD in Animal Science or related field.
- A Masters degree in Agriculture with an emphasis in the areas of Animal Breeding and Animal Health
- A BSc (Hons) in Agriculture with emphasis in Animal Science.
- At least five years teaching experience at undergraduate, graduate or tertiary level and/or industry
- Demonstrated ability to supervise student lab work, and conducting and publishing their own research work.
- A traceable track record of conducting relevant research and publishing in reputable, peer-reviewed journals.
- Ability to spearhead novel technologies for innovative research to deepen understanding of a variety of domestic animal species and the biological and chemical processes by which the animals grow.
- Demonstrated ability to work with regulatory agencies to ensure efficient operation of livestock production activities and facilities in accordance with health ethics codes and humane treatment laws.
- Ability to mobilise resources through writing research and grant proposals independently.
- Ability to work as a team and respect for cultural diversity.
- Demonstrated record of academic leadership that will contribute to invigorating departmental online instruction, curricular innovation, and increased Departmental research productivity in line with the Education 5.0 thrust in Higher Education Training.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Active engagement in high-quality research, implement new developments in the academic discipline set up the original theoretical and practical researches or key technologies in animal breeding, animal health and processing, enhance his/her own international academic influence and to become an internationally active academic member.
- Liaise with industry and other stakeholders regarding curricula, excursions, research and community empowerment projects.
- Participate in Departmental, College and University wide activities.
- Preparation, development and utilisation of cutting – edge digital learning and assessment materials and tools.
- Presentation of lectures, tutorials and practicals, on and off- campus.
- Research and supervision of undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students.
- Capacity and willingness to develop viable animal production enterprises that form the basis for student entrepreneurial projects.
- Apply knowledge and skills for value addition in products from animal production enterprises.
- Practical skills and willingness to engage in animal processing and utilization in student and farmer empowerment to engage in animal production-based agribusiness enterprises.
- Engage in community projects with emphasis on building community resilience through livestock based projects.
- Advise the Africa University Farm on livestock-related issues.
- Keep up to date with developments in animal science and related areas, as well as livestock production issues and legislation changes that may affect academic programming.
- Attend conferences, workshops and seminars to keep abreast of the latest developments and to network with people in the profession and in related industries.
- Develop innovative initiatives solutions to address challenges in the livestock sector in line with the Education 5.0 thrust of Higher Education Training.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications together with copies of curriculum vitae, certified copies of certificates, academic transcripts and at least three names of referees with their e-mail, phone numbers and postal addresses should be forwarded to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 1 August 2022.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to.