Africa university, a Pan-African institution, a member of the Association of African Universities, a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, a United Methodist Church-related institution invites applications from suitably qualified and well experienced persons to fill the following strategic position:
DEAN OF STUDENTS
Under the direction of the Vice-Chancellor/President, the DOS will provide effective leadership and direction to the activities of the Students’ Affairs Office. The Dean of Students will also serve as the operational champion to support the personal and academic success of students.
Qualifications and experience
- A Doctorate degree in any of the following fields: Student Affairs, Psychology, Sociology, Communication, Education Planning, Management, or Youth Studies Management from an accredited university.
- At least eight (8) years of working experience in institutions of higher learning, preferably in students’ welfare, five (5) of which should have been at the senior management level.
- Demonstrated experience in leading diverse cultural student affairs in a high paced performance-driven environment.
Prior experience in working with students in a private, faith-based University will be an added advantage.
Scope of Responsibilities
The scope of responsibility includes, but is not limited to:
- Providing leadership by facilitating strategic planning consistent with the projected growth of the University and the needs of the Students Representative Council.
- Developing and managing budgets.
- Overseeing the general welfare of students by providing leadership and guidance in reviewing, creating, and interpreting of student policies and procedures.
- Responding to students' needs, collaborating with different departments, and planning social programmes for students consistent with the University’s vision of leadership development.
- In liaison with other departmental units, enforcing student policies, rules and regulations that promote a conducive environment for holistic student development and mitigate university risk.
- Ensuring that students with special abilities and needs are sufficiently addressed by developing, implementing and maintaining relevant policies and processes as well as liaising with relevant units to ensure that infrastructural facilities and services offer a barrier-free environment.
- Developing and implementing standard operating procedures to proactively address student issues and grievances in a timeous and conclusive manner.
- Implementing co-curricular activities aimed at improving overall students’ experiences participation, satisfaction and increasing university visibility.
- Providing students with quality engagement opportunities that model values associated with responsibility, entrepreneurship, and ethical leadership for their holistic transformation.
- Proving guidance and advice to students on immigration regulations to ensure processing and timeous renewal of study permits in line with the country’s laws.
- Nurturing the spirit of collegiality with internal units to promote student’s academic and personal success and the ability to build collaborative relationships characterized by mutual respect and commitment to shared goals.
- Establishing steps and procedures to handling challenging students and standards for conduct
- Communicating to parents, management and staff regarding infractions of the code of conduct, academic integrity or other policies.
- Managing confidential information and engender an atmosphere of trust among students and colleagues.
- Establishing positive and pro-active relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications together with copies of curriculum vitae, certified copies of certificates, academic transcripts and at least three names of referees with their e-mail, phone numbers and postal addresses should be forwarded to: firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 15 November 2022.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to